Further Elemental Feedback
April 19, 2016 20 Comments
With the announcement today of the Legion launch date of August 30th it means we’ll probably stop focusing on mechanic stuff soon and go into numbers tuning. Here are some things I think need to be addressed before then.
- Elemental pet talents currently don’t offer any sort of bonus over the base ability, mostly because nothing has been revisited after changing the Greater Fire Elementals base action from melee to Fire Blast.
- “No Path to Target” when placing totems. Happened to me a lot when fighting Fenrir in his cave location (after the 60% relocation).
Many talent options are situation based rather than choice based. Many talent levels are Single Target vs Cooldown vs Multitarget vs Movement (pick 3 of 4) where the only “additional complexity” available is to add another button into the rotation
- Elemental Fusion is better off switching places with the T19 4pc bonus especially as it would resolve the problem where there are effectively only two viable talent options for L75 if you take the Honor talent Control of Lava
- Magnitude will likely only be taken in conjunction with Path of Flame otherwise maintaining a necessary number of Flame Shocks will be impractical given Maelstrom costs for both FS & Earthquake (max 20 and 50 respectively).
- Lightning Rod is unpredictable in its effects but will also apply to single target damage. The original active version seemed a bit more balanced as controlled AoE damage, but something just feels off about this that I can’t quite put my finger on.
Generally there are multiple options where the choice is not about how you want to play, but rather what the requirements of the upcoming encounter are. The initial impression I had from the Legion announcement was that talent choices would allow players to add additional complexity as they wanted, but the current Elemental talent design falls somewhat short of this goal. A re-arrange of talents could resolve most of this.
- Stormkeeper still feels a bit awkward to work into solo content when taking any talent that adds extra abilities (or increases non-Lightning Bolt cast frequencies). Increasing the buff duration to 20 seconds would resolve this, as would reducing the number of charges to 2 rather than 3.
- Earthquake Totem has 5hp, has a small threat effect and can be targeted/killed. Doesn’t feel right that something like Blizzard can’t be removed, but Earthquake can.